Wednesday, April 15, 2009

When the Dog Bites

So I haven't posted on here in a while and this time I have a good excuse. A dog bit me. I'm totally serious. Let me first tell you that I am a dog person. I love dogs. I have lived with dogs all my life. A lot of my family members have had dogs and so I have been exposed to many different dogs. Including a Sheepdog, Great Peirnese dogs, German Shepherds, a Poodle, Labs, Boonie dogs, Rotweilers, Mutts, a Greyhound, a Whippet, and I'm sure there's a dog or two that I'm forgetting... But lots of different types of dogs. Mostly friendly dogs. Some I knew not to go near. They would warn you and growl at you and give you the mean eye. The dog that bit me however, did not. It was my cousin's dog. He was wagging his tail and bringing me toys and when I thought he was lifting his head up to lick my face...boy was I in for quite a shock. I'm not proud of what I yelled, but I was glad that I had people around me to work quickly to get me fixed up. I yelled "Oh my God!" and on Easter Sunday!! My brother always yells at me for saying things like that. I guess it's just a phrase that became a part of my vocabulary years ago and I never gave it any thought. It doesn't mean to me what it means to others. It is just an exclamation for me. Anyway, I now have 5 stitches in my face and am in the healing process both physically and mentally. The day after it happened I kept having flashbacks to when it happened and could feel the dog biting me over and over... that was such mental torture. I actually went to work that day to keep my mind off of things. I think it helped a little. I was pretty tired by the end of the day though. It's been hard to sleep, but last night I think I slept better than the other nights. It's only been 3 days since the incident and I am hoping that in time, this will not be a large part of my daily thoughts. My thoughts go from -what was the dog thinking?- to -my mom was also there and her face was close to him too, what if it had been her?!- to -i want to kick that dog in the head- to -i feel so bad for a dog who has to live a life in fear like that.- to -what is my cousin going to do with her dog? is she afraid of her own dog because of what happened?- It's just so stressful. I'm trying my best (per my mom's suggestion) to let go of things that I do not need to deal with, like my cousin and her dog. My mom is right, it's not my problem. My problem is healing and getting sleep. I'm waiting for things to get back to normal. That's all I really want right now. No stitches, no bruises, no cuts, no stinging pain, no trouble eating because I'm worried I'll split my stitches. However, I also want to note that I am VERY LUCKY!!! This whole thing could have been so much worse. My nose, ears, and eyes are all still intact (even though I dreamt he bit my nose off). I'm so lucky and I am so thankfull that things are not worse. If this had to happen, I'm glad it happened the way it did. I am also thankful for a family that is quick to react and who was pretty calm during the whole event. I can't imagine going to an ER alone and having to explain what happened when all you want to do is get it over with and leave the ER already.

PS, I've never seen the move The Sound of Music. It was on the other day, but I didn't get a chance to watch it. I've heard it is good, so I might just have to rent it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment