Monday, April 27, 2009

Me, a Vegetarian?

I've always thought I should become a vegetarian but have not tried to do it. For several reasons: I like chicken way too much to give it up, we humans are predators we are supposed to eat meat, I don't like tofu - at all, I can't stand soy products or lentils, I like my occasional McD's Big Mac...mmmmm, another reason may or may not be laziness. I feel terrible for the way the animals are treated, I really do. I try not to think about it. What's more sad is that animals like pigs are very intelligent and make very good pets. :( It makes me want to cry. I try not to eat pork anymore, but I LOVE hot dogs and get cravings for them when I smell them. I haven't had one in a long time - probably over a year, but I don't know how much longer I can keep that going. Turkey dogs are really good too, but does that make it any better?! I'm on the fence and I'm trying to live on both sides... When I am invited to a pig roast, I can eat the pork as long as I have not seen the pig. If I see the pig, I cannot touch the pork. Especially if the carcass is on the same table. So weird that as a predator I cannot stand the site of an animal carcass. I cannot stand my meat to be rare or even medium rare, it has to be WELL done. On the flip side, I feel that hunting is a good thing and it keeps population down and I am happy if the hunter uses all of the meat and even the skin and bones for other purposes. I guess hunting and farming are different. Too bad I can't stand the taste of fresh game compared to a fast food burger... I guess I'll continue my meat eating from my fence for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment