Friday, April 30, 2010

Butt Wiping Irrational

My compassion for animals has rendered me just a little bit irrational. It is nothing new, I have always been this way. When it comes to the life of almost any thing, there is no price to me. I have to laugh at myself... I was really upset last night and told my boyfriend that money was just paper and that I could wipe my butt with money. I'm a little embarrassed that I said that; however, I am very distraught over my ailing rabbit. I've had him for about 5 years now and although I am not as attached to him as I was to my previous rabbit or my dog for that matter, I still feel in my heart that I should do everything I possibly can (or possibly can't) for this rabbit in order to prolong his life. I feel responsible for the animals that I take in. And, even though I feel responsible, I understand that spending hundreds or thousands of dollars on a rabbit is kind of nuts. What's more nuts is that I would feel the same and want to spend hundreds or thousands on a rat or a frog or even a hamster. Oh and don't even ask about a dog! Oh what do I do? So far, I only have a prognosis and so I will try my best to think rationally when we know exactly what is wrong with my Ravi - that's his name. I got him from a cute little Indian girl and had kept the name she gave him. I asked her his name as I was loading him in my car and she called it to me through thick tears. She didn't want to give him up and I felt really bad for taking him - but her parents thought it was a bit too much responsibility for her at the time. I totally understood the girl's pain and took the rabbits (there are 2) as quickly as possible so that maybe it would have a band-aid type affect...? I am hoping that she is now able to have and care for a rabbit or two. She deserves them. But I also hope that it's a long while before she has to worry about what I'm dealing with right now. It's just so incredibly sad and can make any animal lover down right butt wiping irrational.

No comments:

Post a Comment